Whether your a baseball fan or not, and if you don’t know who Yogi Berra is, he played his entire career a catcher for the New York Yankees, plus later on down the road, managed the NY Mets. His quotes, sayings, adages are truly funny and some can be head scratching. Enjoy.
Lawrence Peter Berra played Major League Baseball for 19 years for
the New York Yankees.
He played on 10 World Series Championship teams, is a MLB Hall of
Famer and has some awe-inspiring stats.
His name is consistently brought up as one of the best catchers in
baseball history, and he was voted to the Team of the Century in 1999
Amazing accomplishments aside, they probably aren’t how you know
Lawrence. You know him as Yogi, a nickname given to him by a friend
who likened his cross-legged sitting to a yogi.
Yogi is famous for his fractured English, malapropisms and
sometimes nonsensical quotes.
He just turned 88 on Sunday, and there seems to be no end to his
fan’s love for him.
Here are 25 Yogi Berra quotes that will make you shake your head and smile.
1. “It’s like déjà vu all over again.”
2. “We made too many wrong mistakes.”
3. “You can observe a lot just by watching.”
4. “A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.”
5. “He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.”
6. “If the world was perfect, it wouldn’t be.”
7. “If you don’t know where you’re going, you might end up some place else.”
8. Responding to a question about remarks attributed to him that he
did not think were his:
“I really didn’t say everything I said.”
9. “The future ain’t what it used to be.”
10. “I think Little League is wonderful. It keeps the kids out of the house.”
11. On why he no longer went to Ruggeri’s, a St. Louis restaurant:
“Nobody goes there anymore because it’s too crowded.”
12. “I always thought that record would stand until it was broken.”
13. “We have deep depth.”
14. “All pitchers are liars or crybabies.”
15. When giving directions to Joe Garagiola to his New Jersey home,
which is accessible by two routes:
“When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
16. “Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t
come to yours.”
17. “Never answer anonymous letters.”
18. On being the guest of honor at an awards banquet:
“Thank you for making this day necessary.”
19. “The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.”
20. “Half the lies they tell about me aren’t true.”
21. As a general comment on baseball: “90% of the game is half mental.”
22. “I don’t know (if they were men or women running naked across the field).
They had bags over their heads.”
23. “It gets late early out there.”
24. Carmen Berra, Yogi’s wife asked: “Yogi, you are from St. Louis ,
we live in New Jersey , and you played ball in New York . If you go
before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?” Yogi’s
answer: “Surprise me.”
25. “It ain’t over till it’s over.”
Maybe you don’t like your job, maybe you didn’t get enough sleep, well nobody likes their job, nobody got enough sleep. Maybe you had the worst day of your life, but you know, there’s no escape, so just suck up and be nice.
– Ani DiFranco
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.
-Oscar Wilde, De Profundis, 1905
Losers make promises they often break. Winners make commitments they always keep.